Monday, March 22, 2010

Going Abroad... or not.

Learning new languages is a huge hobby for me. I'm currently learning Japanese and Swedish, but I have over ten others on my "to-do" list.

Anyway, I've been learning Japanese since I was ten, entirely self-taught. That makes it six years. Let's assume that I half-assed a lot of it (because I did) and it's perfectly reasonable that I'm still at an advanced level after all these years (though it's supposed to take 4-6 years to reach fluency). And I've always wanted to take a trip to Japan.

On top of that, I'll be getting my diploma soon. That means I'll have a year off before I'm expected to go to college.

The immediate solution to this problem is GAP YEAR! TAKE A GAP YEAR!

Basically, a gap year is a year someone takes off of school or their job. A lot of kids who graduate "early" take one. And best of all, there are programs to take you all over the world studying language and culture for that one year (or a portion of it).

So I've been counting on going to Japan next year for a while now. Only thing is, I've discovered
  • I don't have the money
  • I can't drive
  • I haven't taken the SAT
  • I've basically never been away from home

And it's looking like a worse and worse idea. Chances are, I'm going to work my ass off and go the year after next regardless. Maybe I'll wait until college and go to school abroad. At any rate, you'll hear about it once I'm there, and it will be fun as hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment