Thursday, May 20, 2010

May Updates and Mahjong


So I've gotten into Reach Mahjong lately. I'm still not entirely familiar with the set of rules (because dang, that set of rules is big), but I'm good enough to win a hand every once in a while. It's been a long time since I last declared Reach--I should practice!

I'm aware that there are a lot of online sites and applications dedicated to playing Mahjong online. Feel free to go check those out yourself--I'm too lazy to check them out for you. I'm currently using Touhou Unreal Mahjong, because semi-crossover boardgames are fun.

Keep in mind that different rule sets, and indeed different sources, use different terms. (Pungs, chows, pon, chi)

But it's an interesting sport. It seems too complex to be a simple common board game, although I suppose Scrabble would seem overly complex to a foreigner as well.

Reach Mahjong also goes by the romanization Riichi Majon. If you're interested in playing, go look it up. It's good fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment